It's 2017 and technical SEO is more alive than ever. It's truly the foundation for a well-optimized, and in turn well-ranking, website. So let's first give you a quick rundown of what a good SEO, or SEO agency, would include on their technical SEO audit checklist. Granted, this initial list is not by any means complete. But these are certainly items that should be included in any audit.
Technical SEO Audit Checklist 2017
- Missing title tag
- Multiple title tags
- Duplicate title tag
- Title tag too long
- Title tag too short
- Missing meta description tag
- Multiple meta description tags
- Duplicate meta description tag
- Meta description tag too long
- Meta description tag too short
- Missing H1 tag
- Image missing alt attribute tag
- Image size too large
- Broken images
- URL over 100 characters
- Slow page load time
- Broken or non-valid sitemap
- Search engines blocked by robots.txt
- Page blocked by meta robots tag
- Page blocked by x-robots tag
- Page nofollowed by x-robots tag
- Hreflang tag issues
- Page lacks OpenGraph meta tags
- Page lacks Twitter meta tags
- Prerender and prefetch tags
- Mixed content error
- Page lacks analytics tag
- Meta refresh tag
- Over 100 on-page internal links
- Too many on-page external links
- Overly dynamic URL
- Duplicate page content
- Thin page content
- Low HTML to text ratio
- Broken internal links
- Broken external links
- 404 error
- Redirect hop chain
- Redirect to 4xx
- 30x redirect
- Temporary redirect
- 5xx server error
- Rel=canonical error
- Multiple rel=canonical
How to Get Search Engines to Find, Crawl, and Index Your Website?
Through the use of automated bots, search engines, like Google, are able to find, crawl, and index your website. However, if your website is not paying attention to technical SEO, you might be at risk of not performing well in organic search or, even worse, not being indexed at all. So what do you need to do?
- Ensure that your website is using an XML Sitemap.
- Submit your XML Sitemap to Google Search Console.
- Make sure that none of the pages you want to be indexed are blocked by meta robots tags.
- Test your robots.txt file to ensure that it is not blocking any part of your website that you want to be indexed.
Is Your Website Mobile-Friendly?
Over the past two years, Google has made a push for webmasters to improve the mobile-friendliness of their websites. Google even briefly included a notation on search engine result pages that stated whether or not a particular page was "mobile-friendly." This has all been associated with a Google algorithm update that 's been referred to as "mobilegeddon" and "mobilepocalyse" by various SEOs. So how can you check if your website is mobile-friendly?
- Test your domain with Google's Mobile-Friendly Test tool.
Does Page Speed Have an Impact on SEO?
The simple answer is yes. Obviously. But why? Well, imagine that you visit a website, but it takes several seconds more than usual to load the page. Do you get impatient and leave? Most people do, and therein lies the importance of ensuring that your website loads quickly. Additionally, Google and other search engines notice when visitors abandon your website quickly, due to slow page load times. And as a result, they will impact how well you're able to rank. How can you make sure that your website page speed is optimized?
- Enter your domain using Google's PageSpeed Insights Tool.
What Else Can You Do?
I hope I've made it clear how important a technical SEO audit is in 2017. Clearly, one of the most important aspects is making sure your website is being found, crawled, and indexed. But also, mobile-friendliness and page speed are of crucial importance. But really, you shouldn't stop there. The main checklist above for a technical SEO audit should be your initial guide. But if you're interested in professional assistance, be sure to contact the SEO Hero Agency today. Good luck!